Sunday 24 December 2006

Loren at Christmas

Sophia Loren at Christmas in Rome - well Esten Walker in Rome thinking of Sophia Loren - . Ahh! Rome - lets talk about Sophia Loren, she was great wasnt she ? Here is some of her homespun philosophy whuch beats me rabbiting on about liquorice or Port. The snarl on Petra's face as I go on about this god of Italian cinema grows snarlier by the minute. So anyway, Bassetts make a mean allsort. Its Christmas Eve, we are all allowed to dream, and Bob Cratchett and Tiny Tim dreamt so I can too. I am no Scrooge, neither bah humbug or the nice turkey buying man who enthusiastically showered money after seeing those ghosts - nightcap please - thanks Petra dear - always a scotch on christmas eve. NICE. Here is some Loren quotes :

“The two big advantages I had at birth were to have been born wise and to have been born in poverty.”

“When I was a child, fear was common to my life—fear of having nothing to eat, fear of the other children taunting me at school because I was illegitimate, and particularly fear of the big bombers appearing overhead and dropping their lethal bursts from the sky.”

“I was not intrigued with the accouterments of success and fame, the furs, jewels, expensive automobiles and mansions…. I can assure you that these things were not on my mind when I sat spellbound in that Pozzuoli movie house. It was what these performers on the screen were doing, not what they received for doing it.”

“Though poor and anxious to work, I refused to alter anything. They would take me as I looked or not at all…. Eventually I profited by looking like myself and not like what was fashionable years ago with certain film technicians in Rome.”

“I was blessed with a sense of my own destiny. I have never sold myself short. I have never judged myself by other people’s standards. I have always expected a great deal of myself, and if I fail, I fail myself.”

No comments: