Thursday 14 December 2006

Freud alienated at the Acropolis

Apparently on his only visit to Greece, Sigmund Freud experienced brief but unsettling feelings of alienation as he stood on the Acropolis. I went back there today and I felt alienated. Lonely and fearing death. Some days it just gets to me that way and I suppose bumming around not working with too much time on my hands to do nothing much at all must be a contributing factor. So perhaps I should do some work - maybe bar work. I have never worked behaind a bar before bur how difficult can it be. I suppose there are drunken revellers hassling you all night but maybe I could get a job an a quiet bar on a quiet part of town. Its not like it booze city like Friday night in the centre of all our towns in England. So I drift down from the alienation feeling and into the practical - how do I go about getting a job ?. so I start entering bars and asking in English if they need staff. I just get a lot of shaking heads for two hours and head back to the hotel for a kip. Just as I am about to nip upstairs I hear Petra "Hey Boy !" -
"Hi Petra, do you want to come upstairs and drink some ouzo ?"
" Yes Boy that sounds idyllic "
We go up and I pour two large glasses mixed with tap water - no ice.
"Petra ? "
"Yes"
"What are you doing here in Athens ?"
" I am waiting to go to the islands, but I have just postpone it for a while because I have to wait now for some money to come into my account"
She laughed playfully and Wacked my knee, took a slug of Ouzo and suggested sex. Which we did for 3 hours and then both fell asleep. I phoned Bob later and he said I was a lucky bastard and that he was depressed because Sharon had gone all luvvy duvvy over her pregnancy and he was not so sure but I told him to get a grip, it was obviously what he wanted as well for Christ's sake - the grass is always greener eh ? I told him to take up yoga with Sharon and do all that baby in a tub business - he seemed to cheer up a bit and laughed when he said that they had had to cancel their horse riding holiday in Spain

No comments: