Tuesday 2 January 2007

Round and Round the Colosseum We Go

Drinking and Cooking in France is as good as in Italy - so try a holiday there may be
I walked round and round the Roman Colosseum today, so much and so fast I turned into butter - no only kidding - but it was obsessive. I know some nooks and crannies of that place now that a lot of people do not. Of course I thought about being thrown to the lions and what that might have felt like, but mainly I dwelled on this trip I was on and the past few days - those hazy days back in Athens which seem so far away now. That crazy afternoon in the hotel room when I thought someone had spiked my drink with LSD and meeting Petra. Ancient monument moments are becoming a theme, like the strange feelings I had at the Acropolis, and now the demented rambling round the Colosseum - I seem drawn psychologically to their ancient/ famous - iconic status which feeds into my brain and maybe taps into shared memory. Today it used up 4 hours of my precious time and was alot more than mindless tourism - it was an attempt through boring walking, to get to some core of reason that could shimmer through the walls of the Colosseum and enter into my very being. My feet ached and I was sweating yesterdays final alcohol consumption out in dizzy circular route round and round - images of stella bottles, very like the image I prepared for you kind groovy hipsters above, appeared to me and I moaned and ranted to myself (luckily I did keep this mainly to myself) but I kept on and on round and round. At one point I thought I saw Petra there in front of me and I talked to her slowly - but all I got back was the cackling of an old woman. At the end of the four hours (at around 17:15 I swayed a bit then wandered off in any direction. Some hours later I found my way back to the Aberdeen (lovely home from home) and lay for a while before venturing out to the loacl Internetti Cafe.


Now as I write this I wonder what I have acheived today, and I think it is rather a lot. I have not touched a drop of alcohol and I am still alive. Think before you Drink! because you do not think straight when pissed !


Having just relieved myself of a bladder full of coffee I now feel quite sprightly and ready for a night of heavy action - but NO - that will be difficult on elderflower presse and red bull - I'll let you vagrant flower children know how I get on - probably I cave in on the first toke of a hashish pipe at some Roman Orgy. Anyway - must be off, got to dash, there is a Swede on my shoulder itching to get my seat - so A Bientot !.

No comments: